History of DIY Homes and Tiny Houses
Low-priced DIY houses date all the way back to the 1900s, when Sears home kits (Roebuck houses) were the steal of the century. From 1908 to 1940, Sears sold around 75,000 across the nation, according to the company.
And although smaller house living was slightly popular with artists in the ‘70s and ‘90s, the latest movement didn’t start until 2009, expanding into the early 2010s, when the housing market was facing issues.
However, it wasn’t until 2014 that the popular shows “Tiny House, Big Living” and “Tiny House Hunters” premiered on HGTV. That same year, the small city of Spur, Texas declared themselves the first “tiny house friendly town,” offering flexible zoning codes alongside hundreds of vacant lots for building.
The Popular Demand of Shipping Container Homes
Did you know you can buy complete shipping container tiny houses for around (or less than) what you would spend on car?
You could choose a DIY option to have the price meet your own expectations, and design it to your liking but places such as eBay, Etsy, and Amazon are all big contenders in offering premade tiny houses crafted from shipping containers.
In recent articles from Business Insider and News Atlas, the publications examine the financial realities of tiny house living within shipping containers. Some highlights:
- On Amazon you can buy these homes for $36,000 plus a standard shipping rate of $3754.49, totaling just under $40,000
- These homes include a single bedroom, a full bath (toilet, shower, and sink), and a kitchenette
- Your tiny house is then delivered to you 4 to 6 weeks later
- Other prebuilt tiny container homes, such as some in Colorado, can reach prices up to around $50,000 and are constructed with high-quality fixtures and unique design aesthetics
The Benefits of Building Your Own Tiny Shipping Container House
If you are looking for a new place to call home, and are interested in the tiny house movement, here are some great reasons that might push you to embark on building one of your own!
- Sustainability – From lumber for framing to the number of lightbulbs needed to light up the entire space, there are a variety of ways converting to a shipping container home can help you go green and reduce your carbon footprint!
- Lower external costs – Who wouldn’t be willing to save a buck (or a few hundred)? There are many things that you can get cheaper when you go tiny, including insurance, taxes, repairs, utilities, and more.
- Ability to travel – Forget about pricey hotels. When you own a tiny house, you can easily go mobile, taking it on your cross-country adventures!
- Customization – Everyone at some point in their life has dreamed up their ideal home or wanted to make upgrades to their current space. Well, now you can make your dreams a reality – at a much lower cost!
- Durability – Since shipping containers were made to withstand all types of climate they would face when carrying cargo, they make for reliable, weather-resistant homes.
The Endless Possibilities of Design
One of the best parts about creating your own custom tiny house from shipping containers is that you can make your home as simple or extravagant as you like!
You could make your home as spectacular as this model (via Organics):
…Or as simple and tactful as this design (via Curbed):
When you choose to design your tiny shipping container home from scratch, the possibilities are all up to you!
Getting Started on Your Custom Tiny Home with CPG’s Shipping Containers
Did you know that besides our warehousing and logistics services, we also sell shipping containers? So if you are looking to make your tiny house dreams a reality by using shipping containers, you are in luck! We offer these 4 sizes for sale:
- 20’ Standard - 20' x 8' x 8'6"
- 40’ Standard - 40' x 8' x 8'6"
- 40’ High Cube - 40' x 8' x 9'6"
- 45’ High Cube, used only
CPG Container Sales Locations
Our shipping containers are sold in 20 of our nationwide locations, which are:
- Kansas City
And since every location is different, be sure to contact specific sites to find out which products they have in stock at the moment.
About ContainerPort Group
As a division of The World Group, ContainerPort Group has compiled over 55 years of experience in the logistics industry. We are dedicated to creating unique solutions for our customers, while providing the most reliable distribution services and dedicated customer service in the industry.
We have always strived to help our customers reach their business goals through demonstrating our core values of customer service, team productivity, team relationships, image, growth, and innovation.
At CPG, we offer six core services in a range of locations across the United States to help your company increase its efficiency. These services include:
Learn More About CPG on Our Blog
Looking to read some more articles by us? Get to know us better by reading some of our other posts. Here are a few you might enjoy:
Ready to Make Your Tiny Home Dream a Reality?
Ready to turn a shipping container into a home? Request a quote today to find out more information about our containers for sale, including pricing. We look forward to working with you!